People come to TAM to learn, to be entertained, and to enjoy the community of hundreds of like-minded skeptical people. At the heart of that is the TAM program and we’re proud to say that we think this year’s is one of the best programs we’ve ever had.
Musician and Geologic Podcast host George Hrab will be returning as Master of Ceremonies for TAM 2012. This year’s TAM will also feature as one of its themes a special focus on “Skepticism and The Future,” looking at skepticism of prophecy and fortunetelling, the intersection of skepticism and futurism (the “Singularity”), and the future of the skeptics movement itself.
TAM 2012 will feature the most speakers on the main program we’ve ever had, and will also feature panel discussions including:
- Skepticism about the Future: Techno-optimism vs. Reality?
- How Not To Be a Paranormal Investigator
- The Truth About Alternative Medicine, and
- Skepticism and the Humanities.
The main program will also feature two live tapings of Skeptics Guide to the Universe, featuring Dr. Steve Novella and the Skeptic Rogues.
Just take a look at the complete list of speakers and the panelists, and see how truly AMAZ!NG they are! More will be added in the weeks and months ahead.
Our evening events are among the most talked-about and memorable aspects of The Amaz!ng Meeting. This year, evening events will include:
- Wait, Wait, Don’t Fool Me | A skeptical news quiz completely unlike a certain NPR news quiz in every way. Well, some ways. Join host Brian Thompson and a panel of hilarious skeptical celebrity guests as they compete to see who knows the most about current events, pop culture, and terrible puns.
- A Carlin Home Companion | Deftly weaving her amusing yet poignant family stories with classic video footage of her father’s career and family memorabilia, Kelly Carlin, the only child of iconoclastic comedian George Carlin, takes the audience on a roller coaster ride of emotions and pulls back the curtain on their life together off stage. Join us for this unexpected, loving and revealing look at the man who constantly redefined himself in order to redefined 20th century comedy.
- Paul Provenza presents ¡SATIRISTAS! — Live in Concert | Paul Provenza, the celebrated comic and social critic, presents a cadre of provocateurs and proud comic voices targeting hypocrisy, media distortion and the instiutionalized ignorance infecting America. These skeptical comedians are distinguished by the savage bite of their wit, virtuosic command of irony and finely tuned bullshit detectors. Celebrating the spirit of the book of the same name, ¡SATIRISTAS! will chew the fat of traditional credulity and leave you wanting more.
NEW! We are pleased to announce that headlining comic Doug Stanhope will be joining us for the ¡SATIRISTAS! show, in addition to many other stellar comedians.
- Friggatriskaidekaphobia Treatment Center | The JREF is pleased to announce the opening of the Friggatriskaidekaphobia Treatment Center on Friday, July 13, 2012 during The Amazing Meeting. Stroll through the “self-guided” museum of superstitions, register to be the “lucky” person who will break open a Mayan Calendar pinata or the person who will break a mirror later in the day. To test your level of superstition, Friggatriskaidekaphobia Doctors and Nurses will dare you to walk through an obstacle course to earn Friday the Thirteenth souvenirs.
- Penn Jillette’s Private Rock & Roll, Doughnut and Bacon Party 2 | This really is Penn’s private party. He’s paying for everything and JREF has nothing to do with it. This party will be whatever Penn wants; it’s not a JREF event. Everyone at TAM is invited, and there is a suggested twenty dollar donation to attend, with proceeds going to the JREF.
Skepticism isn’t just something you think, its something you do! This year, hands-on educational workshops and activist trainings will include:
- Investigative Methods for the Skeptic
- The Future of Skepticism Online: Crowd-sourced Activism
- Promoting Skepticism at the Local Level
- From Witch-burning to God-men: Supporting Skepticism around the World
- Astronomy for Skeptics: Investigating “Lights” in the Sky
- Skepticism 101
- Defending Science Based Medicine
- How to Tell the Future
- Advancing Skepticism in the Classroom
- Coalition Building for the Skeptical Activist
Want to see it all? The TAM Experience Package
Everyone who comes to TAM enjoys the “TAM experience,” but for those who want to enjoy access to all regular events at The Amaz!ng Meeting, The TAM Experience Package is an upgraded registration option that includes the following: (a) regular conference registration; (b) the All Workshop Pass; (c) tickets to all TAM evening shows; and (d) special, reserved VIP seating in all main program sessions and evening shows. This is the perfect way to have a great time while supporting a great cause. (Note: The TAM Experience Package does not include tickets to the SGU fundraising dinner, nor the fundraising luncheon with James Randi and friends.)
Enjoy a private luncheon with James Randi and other VIPs from the program!
Don’t miss the opportunity to have an intimate catered luncheon with James Randi and other selected TAM luminaries. As a fundraiser for the JREF, we are offering an exclusive luncheon limited to 20 people.
Or how about Dinner with the cast of The Skeptics Guide to the Universe?
Join Dr. Steve Novella, and Jay, Bob, and Evan for this fundraiser dinner, a portion of the proceeds of which go to support the show.
Enjoy all of this and much, much more!