This annual gathering of critical thinkers is an unparalleled opportunity to make like-minded friends, enjoy some of the brightest minds on issues important to skeptics, and leave with tools for spreading a helpful and educational message to those who might be hurt by charlatans and unfounded belief.
The Amaz!ng Meeting (TAM) is organized by The James Randi Educational Foundation (JREF). Over the last 15 TAMs, this event has become the leading conference in the world focused on scientific skepticism. Well over 1,000 people from around the world come to TAM each year to share learning, laughs, and the skeptical perspective with their friends and a host of distinguished guest speakers, panelists, workshop presenters, and entertainers.
“More of a brain show than a trade show.” — Los Angeles Times
“At this gathering of the nerdiest of the nerdy, it’s hard not to run into the likes of Michael Shermer, the charismatic publisher of Skeptic magazine, or such scientific celebrities as Michael E. Mann, the embattled climatologist famous for his hockey-stick graph of Earth’s rising temperature. ‘You read their books, and then there they are in person!’ one astonished attendee tells his partner.” — Pacific Standard
“This was only my third TAM, but each time, I’m just astounded by the new perspective with which I’m able to view my world. I can’t begin to thank the JREF enough for presenting me with such an opportunity.” — TAM 2013 attendee
TAM 2014 will offer four full days of skeptical programing running from early morning until after midnight most nights, including:
- Conference sessions featuring dozens of talks, a number of panel discussions, and special afternoon and evening keynote presentations.
- Ten skeptic workshops offering hands-on activist and educational training.
- Three advance theatrical screenings of AN HONEST LIAR, offering an exclusive pre-release look at the documentary about the life of James Randi following the movie’s debut at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival, and other film festivals.
- Paul Provenza’s annual night of unflinching comedy, ¡SATIRISTAS LIVE!, featuring some of the brightest skeptical stars in comedy today.
- The acclaimed DARK STORIES magic and spiritualism show, a night of spooky and strange starring two of the world’s most offbeat magicians, Eugene Burger and Michael Carbonaro.
- Penn Jillette’s private ROCK & ROLL, DOUGHNUT AND BACON PARTY, one of the highlights during TAM each year.
- A live on-stage test of an applicant for the JREF’s Million Dollar Paranormal Challenge.
- The SKEPTICS’ POKER TOURNAMENT, featuring VIPs from the worlds of science and skepticism.
- A special dinner, game show, and auction starring The Skeptics’ Guide to The Universe, benefiting JREF’s K-12 educational programs.
- Exclusive, intimate luncheons with Randi and other TAM luminaries.
- Dozens of author signings with speakers from the TAM 2014 stage.
- A packed exhibit hall featuring TAM sponsors, partners, and rationalist organizations highlighting their services and products of interest to the growing skeptic community.
- And over a thousand like-minded folks celebrating critical thinking and scientific skepticism!
The following preliminary schedule is for planning purposes and is subject to change. Blue events are included with Basic Registration, while Orange events require separate tickets. All events take place at The South Point Hotel & Casino.
CONFERENCE SESSION SPEAKERS
More speakers to be announced.
More presenters to be announced.
These hand-on educational workshops and activist training sessions are separately ticketed events held before and after the main conference sessions. Attendees may register for workshops separately or purchase an All Workshop Pass.
Note: An All Workshop Pass entitles you to enter any of the ten workshops, but because workshops run in concurrent tracks, you will not be able to attend each one.
Thursday, July 10
- Workshop 1A
- PROMOTING SKEPTICISM THROUGH THE COMIC AND GRAPHIC ARTS
- Workshop 1B
- TEACHING SKEPTICISM FOR K-12
- Workshop 2A
- ADVANCING SKEPTICISM IN THE MEDIA
- Workshop 2B
- TEACHING “SKEPTICISM 101″ (AT COLLEGE)
- Workshop 3A
- RHETORIC AND ARGUMENTATION FOR THE SKEPTIC
- Workshop 3B
- BLOGGING SKEPTICISM: THE GOOD, THE BAD, AND THE UGLY
- Workshop 4A
- SKEPTIC DEBATERS’ TOOLBOX
- Workshop 4B
- HOW TO TEST PARANORMAL CLAIMS
Sunday, July 13
- Workshop 5A
- A SKEPTIC’S GUIDE TO NEUROPSEUDOSCIENCE
- Workshop 5B
- WHAT YOU CAN DO TO FIGHT THE WOO
Detailed workshop information to be announced.
TAM evening events are among the most talked-about and memorable aspects of TAM. We offer skeptical and science-themed comedy, magic, and other top-notch entertainment every night of the program. This year, our evening events will include:
- Thursday, July 10
- AN HONEST LIAR – PRIVATE FILM SCREENING (THREE SHOWTIMES)Renowned magician James “The Amazing” Randi has been wowing audiences with his jaw-dropping illusions, escapes, and sleight of hand for over 50 years. When Randi began seeing his cherished art form co-opted by all manner of con artists—from faith healers and fortune-tellers to psychics and gurus—he made it his mission to expose the simple tricks charlatans have borrowed from magicians to swindle the masses.
With An Honest Liar, filmmakers Justin Weinstein and Tyler Measom chronicle Randi’s best debunkings, including his rivalry with nemesis and famed spoon-bender Uri Geller, with the help of interviewees including Penn Jillette, Bill Nye, and “Mythbuster” Adam Savage. In telling Randi’s strange, funny, and fascinating life story, they ultimately show us how we are all vulnerable to deception—even, in a surprising twist, “The Amazing” Randi himself.
This is an exclusive and very special chance to see An Honest Liar months before its theatrical release. Q&A with Randi and the filmmakers will follow each screening.
Ticket holders will also receive an exclusive, special edition Honest Liar souvenir.
- Friday, July 11
- ¡SATIRISTAS LIVE!Paul Provenza, the celebrated comic and social critic, presents a cadre of provocateurs and proud comic voices targeting hypocrisy, media distortion and the institutionalized ignorance infecting America. These skeptical comedians are distinguished by the savage bite of their wit, virtuosic command of irony and finely tuned bullshit detectors. Celebrating the spirit of the book of the same name, ¡SATIRISTAS LIVE! will chew the fat of traditional credulity and leave you wanting more.
- Friday, July 11
- PENN JILLETTE’S PRIVATE ROCK & ROLL, DOUGHNUT AND BACON PARTYBe forewarned —This really is Penn’s private party. He’s paying for everything and JREF has nothing to do with it. This party will be whatever Penn wants; it’s not a JREF event.
there will be stupid rock and roll
there will be obscenity
there will be scantily clad people
there will be 1200 Krispy Kreme doughnuts and tons of bacon
you will learn nothing
Everyone at TAM is invited, and it is free to attend. There is a suggested donation to the JREF at the door of $20.00 or more.
Note: This event is neither paid for nor sponsored by the JREF.
- Saturday, July 12
- DARK STORIESA collection of stories that lurk playfully in the shadows. Starring Michael Carbonaro and Eugene Burger.Two of the most offbeat magicians working today join forces to create an evening both fun and strange that you won’t soon forget!
Eugene Burger is an award-winning magician who has written several best-selling books that have made him a living legend in the world of theatrical mystery, as well as a sought-after speaker for international groups including Fortune 500 companies. Chicago magazine hailed him as “Chicago’s best magician.”
Michael Carbonaro has an extensive background in both acting and conjuring, with a host of television and movie roles. He is best known for his recurring “Magic Clerk” features on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno. Most recently, he has starred in his own TV series that will soon debut on the Tru-TV network.
Individually, each can produce wonders. Together… Well, you’ll just have to find out yourself!
These fundraising luncheons and dinner are separately ticketed meals that are offered in addition to the regular conference meals included with Basic Registration.
- Friday, July 11
- Intimate VIP Luncheon With James Randi and Other TAM SpeakersDon’t miss the opportunity to have an private catered luncheon with James Randi and other selected TAM luminaries. As a fundraiser for the JREF, we are offering an exclusive luncheon limited to 20 people on both Friday and Saturday.Seating is extremely limited.
- Friday, July 11
- Special Fundraising Dinner Featuring The Skeptics Guide to the UniverseJoin Dr. Steven Novella, and Jay, Bob, and Evan for this fundraiser dinner, also featuring a live gameshow and auction, proceeds of which benefit the JREF and support the development and distribution of “JREF in the Classroom” resources.Great people, great food, great drinks and great fun. It’s the perfect night for friendship and support for a good cause!
We are back this year in the fantastic South Point Hotel, Casino & Spa. This 2500+ room resort on Vegas’s growing South Strip offers a wide array of amenities. Along with the expected casino, pools, restaurants and lounges, South Point also houses a premium movie theater, bowling and even an equestrian center. Located a few miles south of the Strip, this hotel has all the convenience of Vegas without the hassle, and for folks driving from California, you arrive before the traffic gets heavy on the strip!
South Point Hotel, Casino & Spa
9777 Las Vegas Blvd South
Las Vegas, NV 89183
Phone: (866) 791-7626
Group discount code: AMA2014